Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unearthing the Past

If I was in my current occupation, one which I truly enjoy, I would have been an archaeologist. Nothing to do with Indiana Jones because I was interested in the subject from High School, almost a decade before the fedora-wearing and whip-toting, Jones was around. Archaeology or paleontology, I probably couldn't make up my mind, and similar. They go with my love of history but seem more hands-on and 'in the field' types of studies.

For example, I was totally mesmerized by the finds of Dr. Louis Leakey in Kenya and Tanzania. I could imagine myself out on the African grasslands or mountains digging into my own history. I thought it was cool. Two days ago British archaeologists announced they had uncovered an ancient Roman landscape beneath a park in west London, with a Roman road evidence of a settlement, and unusual burials among the finds. My family comes from England, so this too fires my imagination. I wonder how good I might have been with a trowel and a little whisk broom in the trenches, if I had chosen a different path.

0 comments:

Post a Comment