Monday, March 1, 2010

Chile Battles Lawlessness, Desperation After Massive Earthquake

Chilean authorities are struggling to maintain order, distribute supplies, and rescue survivors after Saturday's powerful earthquake that killed more than 700 people and damaged or destroyed hundreds of thousands of homes and buildings. President Michelle Bachelet is attempting to rally her nation in the face of tragedy and devastation, while appealing to the international community for assistance. Shock and grief have given way to desperation and lawlessness in some areas hardest-hit by the 8.8-magnitude earthquake. Many looters made off with food and basic supplies. Others saw an opportunity for large-scale theft, carrying away home appliances on their backs. My heart goes out to the Chilean people as I had a very fine friend from Santiago that I used to flat with in Sydney. I hope he and his family is well. This quake became even more personal as my daughter, who lives on a Pacific island atoll with her husband and children, were evacuated from their home at 6a.m. due to a possible tsunami bearing down on them. I am am truly thankful that nothing happened.

0 comments:

Post a Comment