Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Celebrating Derek

I have always respected sportsmanship and have done my very best to be a good sport on the field of play (and off of it). During my sports years I have had many teammates and opponents who were a great example of sportsmanship. One thing that always drives me crazy is when a person or team wins something major, who do not exemplify good sportsmanship. Early John McEnroe is a good example, although he has mellowed considerably in later years. Bobby Fischer was my first real introduction to bad sportsmanship, when he won the 1972 World Chess Championship from Boris Spassky. Even though he is widely regarded as the games’ greatest ever player, he was no example to follow. Diego Maradona, the Argentinean footballer is another to mention in this discussion.
So when the Los Angeles Lakers recently won the NBA Championship I got a major case of heartburn. As a team I can’t stand them. Their fans are generally obnoxious. Kobe Bryant is an arrogant idiot who is thoroughly undeserving of league MVP. I can name a number of people who are better players and billions who are finer men. It’s too bad that the NBA doesn’t have an award like Australian Rules Football does in naming the Best and Fairest Player. Kobe wouldn’t stand a snowflakes chance of winning that.
But I have found the silver lining in the cloud of the Lakers’ win. I congratulate Derek Fisher on his first NBA Championship. Derek is a fine player and a very nice man, whom I have had the opportunity to meet. I also got a hug from his mom, on Mother’s Day, and she is a total sweetheart. So well done Derek, you deserve it man!

0 comments:

Post a Comment